Monday, November 16, 2020

Peaky Blinders

 Last March while we were all home, Cal suggested that I watch the show "Peaky Blinders" on Netflix.  I sat down with him while he was on an episode in the middle of Season 3 and agreed that it seemed to be right up my alley.  It was a period piece set in England right after World War I centered around an English working class mob type family.  It had a lot of historical references and it was produced by the BBC.  Thus, I knew that I had to at least give it a try.

As I had several other series that I wanted to finish first I didn't get back to Peaky Blinders until the fall.  I watched a couple of episodes a week and soon found myself finished with the first two seasons.  Several weeks ago we decided as a family to get rid of Netflix.  The increase in price just wasn't worth it for as little as we watched it lately.  Knowing that we still had the streaming channel until Thanksgiving I pushed forward with a goal of finishing Peaky Blinders before the 26th. 

I would need to watch an episode a day to do so and at first wasn't sure if I would be able to do that.  I really don't watch a lot of television, especially during the day.  The further I got into the show, however, the more interesting it became.  Twists, turns, murders, and new characters all kept me engaged.  Tying it to the rise of Communism and Fascism was intriguing as was the depiction of Churchill during that time period.  I finished season five last night which ended on a cliff hanger.  I was disappointed that I wouldn't be able to find out what happened to the Shelby family for awhile, but was definitely glad that Cal suggested it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment