Monday, November 9, 2020

The Perfect Trade

 Two months ago we gave the swing set in our backyard to the next door neighbors.  They had asked us last summer if we would be willing to part with it, but neither Cameron nor I were ready to let it go.  It had filled a large space in our backyard and had been a summer staple for fifteen years.  This summer, however, Cameron had not used the swing set much at all and realized that they would get better use of it then our family would.  I agreed and soon we could hear laughter from the neighbor girls as they spent their afternoons swinging, sliding and climbing to their hearts content.  I thought that I would be sad giving it away, but hearing them enjoy it so much made my heart happy.  We never asked for anything from them for it and soon after they received it, the girls made cookies for our family which we excepted as their thank you gift.

Last night when Cam and I returned from school, our neighbor stopped by asking if Doug was home.  I told him that it would be closer to six before we would see him and asked if there was something wrong or anything I could let Doug know.  Josh said that he had a surprise for him and wanted to show him personally.  Thus, when Doug called I let him know to stop by their home first if possible.  I thought that maybe Josh had made him a wooden statue out of the logs that he had been cutting down from our lot.  Doug wondered if maybe he had venison that he wanted to share.  Shortly after Doug visited their yard, he came in to get me.  Our neighbors did have something for us and I was absolutely taken aback when I saw their gift.  Josh and his wife had made us a brand new set of IU cornhole boards complete with matching bean bags.  They were our official gift for the swing set and we couldn't have been more thankful.  Not only were they IU boards, but they would replace the ones that Cal had been suggesting that we get rid of for years.  Doug had been hesitant to give them up as his Dad had made them for us twenty-five years ago, but with the new set, he had no problem agreeing to letting them go.  Cal and Cam joined us on the porch last night to take pictures and talk about how great that they looked.  Brett and Meg could only see my post on Facebook, but in the end all members of the Heinisch children agreed that it was the perfect trade.



No comments:

Post a Comment