Monday, March 9, 2020

The Way Back

Doug had dinner plans with his boss and Champion's sales manager tonight after work, so Cam and I decided to go see the movie, The Way Back, with our free evening.  We invited my parents to go along as the movie had gotten good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.  I was a little worried about taking Cam at first as the movie was rated R, but after reading that it received the rating primarily for the vast amount of swearing in it I wasn't too concerned.

The movie revolved around Ben Affleck's character's struggle with alcoholism that developed after the death of his son.  At the peak of his struggle he was offered a basketball coaching position at his former high school where he was a stand out player.  The new job seemed to help him curtail his drinking, but an incident occurred that sent him spiraling once again.

I really liked the movie as did Cameron and I was extremely glad to take him to it.  He has really become interested in basketball, especially the coaching side of it.  The scenes with the high school players were fantastic and I know that Cam could relate to those in his own age group.  I was also glad that it portrayed the plight of alcoholism.  Cam saw a lot of college age drinking at the IU tailgates this fall and our subsequent trips to Bloomington.  I hoped that this movie helped him to understand that drinking can be a serious issue.   

No comments:

Post a Comment