Sunday, March 1, 2020

So Many Wonderful Memories

I think about my Grandparents almost daily.  They meant the world to me.  They provided support and strength to me throughout my childhood especially after my brother died.  Their home was a safe haven to relax and put my worries away for awhile. They always had something to show me or a skill to teach me.  My Grandma's specialties revolved around baking, sewing and bargain shopping.  I loved sitting at the horseshoe bar in the kitchen that "CrapPa" had made.  I would watch her bake, help her grind cranberries or just listen to her talk.  Many of her stories were about my mother and her siblings, but most revolved around my favorite topic in the house - her love for my grandfather.  She'd tell me about how they had met at work and what they would do on their dates.  He was her knight in shining armor after her divorce.  Even as a preschooler I could remember being impressed that CrapPa had chosen a bride that made him an instant father of four and worked four jobs to support them.  Just watching them, I learned the true meaning of unconditional love.

I never asked my Grandma much about my mother's biological father.  He didn't mean anything to my mom and I knew that he could never be half the man that my grandfather was.  I spent the majority of my youth following CrapPa around learning how to fix anything and everything.  The stories he told while we were in his garage finishing a project were always fascinating to me.  His youth and adventures in World War II were a constant topic and I could never get enough of them.

My grandfather taught me much more about life than just how to fix items.  He taught me to be patient and kind.  From him I learned that doing a job meant doing it correctly.  He stressed that understanding was imperative in all situations and hard work was a must.  These lessons have served me well in life.  The values he taught me helped me choose a husband and to raise the Heinisch children.  My grandpa's blood may have never run through my veins, but his love was ever in my heart and as long as I am alive his memories will be shared for many years to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment