Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Never Easy

It is never easy to leave a job, but sometimes it is the best thing to do.  Not all positions are made for all people.  Teachers are never really ever fired unless they commit an illegal or moral act.  Instead they are moved around or given alternate duties.  With the current teacher shortage the fear of being pink slipped has almost become non-existence.  Thus, most educators leave the profession by their own choice.  

Doug has had a different experience in the business world as he has had to let employees go due to downsizing, discipline issues and a vast host of other reasons.  Although not a favorite part of his responsibilities at work, he has gained quite a bit of experience at it.  He has not adopted the "Norm from Cheers approach" where he takes the termination more to heart than the employee, but he has learned to be tactful and respectful to those he has to inform of the bad news.

I thought a lot about our experiences in the working world today as Brett called to say that he had made a career move.  I felt bad that it didn't quite end the way he wanted, but could relate as I left my first full time teaching position after it was announced to parents that I was not returning even though I hadn't been informed of that decision.  I thought it was comical that the person they hired to replace me decided not to take the position, and I definitely didn't renew my contract when they couldn't find anyone else.  That situation left a bad taste in my mouth, but I was glad to be done with the school.  It wasn't a positive place to work.  That coupled with a deceptive administration helped make the decision to leave a good one.  It took me some time to realize that and I know it will for Brett as well, but with his position at Bell Trace now a full time one, he will have a place to go that appreciates his work.  As he has told me many times over the past year, "I am so happy that I took that position.  I love working with the residents and my boss has been awesome."  Couldn't ask for anything better than that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment