Tuesday, March 17, 2020

St. Patrick's Day Traditions

St. Patrick's Day has always been one of my favorite holidays as it celebrates the life of a saint who started as a slave and ended as a savior of a nation.  I love that Ireland has such a rich history of tradition and a deep devotion to the Catholic faith.  Both of these along with the pubs, the castles, the friendliness of its people and the rolling green hills have only added to my desire to visit the Emerald Isle one day.  I know that Doug and the Heinisch children share my feelings as we have all talked about traveling to Ireland one day.

We weren't able to take any trips out of the country today, but we were able to celebrate St. Patrick's Day together first with a corned beef dinner and then enjoying the views and traditions of Ireland by watching the movie, The Quiet Man.  It has long been my favorite John Wayne movie since I first watched it with Doug almost thirty years ago.  I love the scenery, the romance between Sean Thornton and Mary Kate Danaher, and all of the supporting Irish characters included in the story.  Doug said that he has always liked the movie as well, but it has actually grown on him even more over the years.  I asked him if that was because Maureen O'Hara's character reminded him of me.  All he could do was laugh and admit that there were some similarities.  I couldn't argue as I do actually   identify with the crazy, irrational behavior of the female lead.  Thankfully, however, it is no longer appropriate to drag your wife five miles across the land with the town encouraging you to "beat the lovely lady" with a stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment