Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Humility

Over the past few days several of us in the Heinisch family have had to deal with someone who either bragged about themselves or put us down in order to elevate their status.  Those situations weren't extremely pleasant, but I noticed that it affected us all differently.  When it happened to me, I kind of laughed, wished them well and forgot about it.  I realized that there must have been a reason why they felt that they needed "to put me in my place", but I didn't care.  It really didn't even change my opinion about the person.  I knew that some insecurity must have brought out the comment, and I would be more careful about the topics that I chose to talk about with them in the future.

When it happened to Cameron, however, it didn't quite go the same way.  He took the person's comments personally.  I couldn't blame him at all for that.  The person speaking cared only about how they felt and discredited everyone else.  As a seventeen year old, that can pretty tough to swallow.  Meg could definitely sympathize with Cameron.  She wasn't that far removed from high school to remember how shallow people could be.  I was glad that he called her to talk when he was frustrated.  He felt a lot better about it all.  As I thought about the events of the last few days, my mind kept focusing on the word "humility."  It's something that is hard to teach, but so important in life, especially if you want to maintain friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment