Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Happy 15th Birthday Cameron!!

I was very glad that we spent a lot of time celebrating Cameron's birthday over the weekend as this was an atypical January 21st for us.  Normally, we would take Cam out to eat, open presents, play games and eat cake.  We definitely wouldn't have had anytime for that as Cam left at 6:40 a.m. this morning and didn't return until 9:40 as his day started with jazz band and ended with snow club.  I was extremely thankful for our iPhones as we could all reach out to him with birthday messages and posts today.  Meg even encouraged her friends from Bethany to give him a birthday hug.  Cameron enjoyed his birthday away from the Heinisch home, maybe not the hugging,  but definitely the skiing with his friends.  He reported as soon as he got home that he only fell once and that was because he tripped at the lodge.  Other than that, he had had a fantastic time.

With Cam busy and Doug in Chicago for a meeting I had a lot of time to think about this past year.  When Cameron was still in middle school I had a hard time thinking of him as a teenager.  Glimpses of the fifth grader that started at Bethany so many years ago would pop into my head.  With all of his siblings out of the home this fall and the start of high school, I realized that I no longer thought of him as that comical young boy.  He has definitely changed over the past few years and not just in looks.  He has adopted his father's personality and I have really enjoyed spending time with him as a young adult.  His passion for IU football was such a huge part of our time together and I know that I watched more of that sport this fall than I had in my entire lifetime (and actually enjoyed it.)  I've never been one to lament over the years gone by, but to enjoy the moment.  This year with Cameron has been one of my favorites and I can't wait to see what the next year brings.


No comments:

Post a Comment