Thursday, January 30, 2020

Throwback Thursday

Cameron was invited to play in the pep band at tonight's girls' basketball game.  Grandma, Grandpa and I were excited to see him participate.  It had been seven years since we had attended a ball game just to watch the band.  They weren't quite the group that Brett played with in high school, but then again they didn't have as much time to practice.  We were still pleased with how they sounded and I greatly enjoyed their version of the Batman theme song.  Most importantly, Cam had a lot of fun tonight and appreciated the pizza that Aaron provided for them beforehand.



Tonight was also the first time that I had been in the Bethany gym to watch a basketball game since Meg played in her senior night a year ago.  That was a memorable day for her as she had gotten her braces in the morning and then had to play at night.  As we walked by the Bethany students I noticed the senior boys with numbers painted on their chests, ready to cheer on their classmates.  Instantly my mind flashed back to a year ago.  I realized that it was the last time I had heard "Mama Heidi" from the crowd or watched Shawn cheer for Meg and make faces at her when she was stuck on the bench.  I started to tear up immediately.  Meg hadn't felt much support from her coach that season, so she really appreciated Shawn's antics at the games, especially that day.  He had texted her a dozen times while she was at the orthodontist hoping to get the first glimpse of her new smiled.  He was also a loud part of the cheer block that night.   He even waited for her afterward so that I could take a picture of the two of them.  That day was a memory that she cherished after he died and one that made me cry tonight.  Thankfully, I got it together quickly and then spent the rest of the night enjoying just being a band Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment