Saturday, October 12, 2024

Oktoberfest

Last year we went to Oktoberfest at the World Equestrian Center and really enjoyed it. Thus, when they were hosting the same event this year, I put it on our calendar. They offered two dates for the festival, but Doug and I were busy last weekend, so we bought tickets for today.  Phil joined us for the event, and we all had a fantastic time.

This year we decided to arrive at Oktoberfest right when it opened at 11 a.m.  Last year, we waited until noon, and it was already standing room only when we arrived. I knew that I couldn’t stay very long if I wasn’t able to sit for part of the event. Thankfully, it wasn’t quite as crowded this year and there were more tables available. The first thing on our agenda was to try all of the authentic German foods. We sampled knockwurst, bratwurst, beef and cabbage, German pretzels, apple strudel, ginger snap cookies, and German chocolate cake. Everything was delicious, but the bratwurst and German chocolate cake were my favorites. I did not sample any beer, but the guys tried several of the Oktoberfest offerings. Doug even scored a German Oktoberfest hat when a Sam Adams representative walked by handing them out to those of us who arrived early.

Besides beer and food, we also watched juggling acrobats and a stein holding contest. There was cornhole, a giant jumbo game and connect four as well.   As much as I loved all of the food and activities, the best part of the day was the band. I liked the one a lot last year, but this year's was even better. It was a family band called the Swinging Bavarians. They yodeled, played polka music, and did traditional German Oktoberfest chants and songs. They showcased their children dancing and even taught the crowd a few dances as well. I loved listening to "It’s a Small World" on the cowbell and I know that Doug really appreciated the Chicken Dance. We never made it to the dance floor, but we sure enjoyed watching everything.

After 3+ hours of fun, we decided to call it an afternoon. Doug and Phil both went home and crashed for a while. I couldn’t blame them as there had been a ton of food mixed in with some heavy beers. After Doug took a short nap, he and I went to mass and spent the rest of the evening home watching football. I told him over and over how much fun I had had today. That has been the best part about moving, all of the different activities that we have been able to enjoy and now that he doesn’t have to work so much, we can actually attend many more of them.



                                              










No comments:

Post a Comment