Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Moustaches

At about nineteen years of age, each one of my sons decided to try and grow a moustache.  I was not surprised as I knew from hanging out with guys in college that growing a moustache, beard or goatee was a rite of passage at that age.  I also knew that my boys had grown up around my dad and that he had had facial hair for as long as they could all remember.  None of them ever said it to me, but I always figured that maybe they tried to grow one because Grandpa had one.  No matter why they decided, I didn't say much about it until they asked me my opinion.  

Brett tried growing a moustache the earliest.  He was a freshman and out of all of our sons I really thought that he had the best chance of growing facial hair.  It wasn't because of my dad, however, it was because Brett looked a lot like Doug's Uncle Maury who had a moustache and beard for as long as Doug and I had been married.  Unfortunately, Brett's facial hair grew a lot more like Doug's.  I remembered back to when Doug lost a bet after his freshmen year and couldn't shave for three weeks.  Except for the "neck beard" that he grew, nothing else really developed and he was thankful to be able to shave it off as soon as the time period was over.  At 18 Brett also had a nice "neck beard" going and gave up on the idea of a moustache after a month.



Cal tried growing a moustache during his senior year.  He waited until interviews were over in October, thinking that "No-Shave November" would be the best time to try.  Not much happened, so he started shaving again by Christmas.  He tried one more time in the fall of 2021.  The moustache was a little bit thicker and darker, but not enough to make him continue growing it.  


2019


2021

Thus, when Cameron called to tell me that he was going to grow a moustache, I wasn't surprised at all.  I knew that it was about the right time in his life to give it a try.  I also had no hope that it would look any different than either Doug's, Brett's or Cal's.  Cameron was more hopeful because he had "a lot of Musser in him."  Before we went to see him in September, he sent me pictures and said that he had gotten a lot of positive feedback on it.  When he asked my opinion, I told him the truth.  "I'm just not really that excited about moustaches on anyone.  I thought the only people who looked better with a moustache were my dad and Tom Selleck.  If it was up to me, I would have him shave it."  He just laughed and called me a "hater."  



I think that my mom believes that I really hate Cameron's moustache, but I don't.  Even if it grows in thicker and darker, I know that it is more than likely a phase. It's just fun to give him a hard time about it.  I also know that no matter what, he will have to shave it before he has any job interviews.  Fortunately, that won't be this semester.  I also realize that moustaches, painting nails and even earrings aren't forever.  Thankfully, none of the boys have talked about getting tattoos yet.  I would be very concerned about as they would be permanent.  

No comments:

Post a Comment