Sunday, January 16, 2022

Dead Poet's Society

Last week I spent some time listening to The Rewatchables podcasts on Spotify.  I first decided to hear Bill Simmons thoughts on Saturday Night Fever.  I had only seen the movie once and definitely didn't have it on my "rewatchable" list.  I found it absolutely depressing.  Cal had just watched the movie, however, so I thought I'd at least see what the podcast had to say.  They liked the film a lot more than I did, but pointed out a few flaws with the movie including the intense themes.  That's when I realized why I never liked it, way too emotional for me.  Even John Travolta couldn't make me watch it again.

After the Saturday Night Fever Rewatchable ended, a new one started.  I hadn't planned on listening to anymore, but once I heard the topic, I had to keep going.  Dead Poet's Society was not on my rewatchable list either, but I definitely liked it a lot better than Saturday Night Fever.  It was very sad, but not intense which I really appreciated.  The fact that Robin Williams was in the movie only made it better.

When Doug got home Friday night, I mentioned the two movies to him.  He had never seen the first one and much like me, he had not seen the second film since it came out in 1989.  He agreed with my thoughts on Dead Poet's Society being extremely said, but said he would watch it again.  He had no desire to watch the Travolta flick.  Since I knew that football would be on our television the rest of the weekend, I suggested watching the film Friday night and I was glad that Doug agreed.

Dead Poet's Society was set in a boarding school in 1959.  The plot revolved around a group of boys from affluent families with high expectations for  each of them.  Robin Williams played a new, but soon beloved teacher who encouraged the boys to think for themselves.  William's students soon found out that he had been president of the Dead Poet's Society when he attended the same prep school and they decided to begin a chapter of the secret society themselves.  The friendship of the boys was as fun to watch now as it was in 1989.  Parents as villains seemed appropriate for the 1980s movie.  Robin Williams was extremely likable as always.  I found his performance even more endearing now than I did back then, especially knowing how his real life came to an end.  It was still so incredibly sad, so I definitely won't be putting it on my rewatchable list.  I might, however, watch it again in less than 32 years the next time.  


No comments:

Post a Comment