Saturday, January 15, 2022

Basketball Statistician

When Cameron came to me in October to see what I thought about him being a statistician for the girls basketball team, I was completely surprised.  I had never even considered that he would be interested in that position.  Austin must have thought differently, however as he had asked him earlier in the fall to work with him this basketball season.  I mentioned it to Doug and he thought it was a great idea as it would keep Cameron busy during the long winter months.  I was glad to hear that as Doug had never been a big fan of the Heinisch children being managers of a team.  He had always said that he wanted them to participate instead.  We had never discussed being a statistician, but that seemed a better fit than manager.  Cameron wouldn't have to be at the practices which we all liked, he would learn a new skill, and he'd get to hang out with Austin and his friends on the team.  I was all in once I heard that everyone thought it was a good idea and that he'd be able to mis a game or two if needed.  

Fast forward three months and Cameron has definitely enjoyed his new role.  Being a part of the team has been more fun than he imagined and hanging out with his friends has been even better.  Meg told me yesterday that his entire SnapChat story was about getting locked out of school before they left for Blackhawk Christian with his coffee still inside.  As I relayed the story to Doug, we both remarked at how happy we were that Cameron decided to be a part of the girls' basketball team this year.  It has kept him busy and involved.  After last winter's long days of being shut in the house with online school, that has been a welcome relief.  


No comments:

Post a Comment