Sunday, July 26, 2020

The Perfect Summer for a Pool

I loved having a pool when we lived in Nappanee.  I swam everyday and thoroughly enjoyed being in the water.  I really missed it after we moved to Syracuse, but found the lake to be a nice substitute.  Once I got into middle school, however, I wasn't as interested in swimming much anymore.  My parents moved to a home on the channel when I was fifteen and it was a nice place to live.  I still wasn't that much into swimming, however, but did jump in a few times while I lived there.  In high school I had friends that were able to drive their family boats and we'd spend quite a bit of time on the lake that way.  Those days were a lot of fun.

When Doug and I moved to Syracuse we never really considered living on water.  He felt that the risks were too high with young children.  I definitely agreed and over the years never really missed boating or swimming.  The Heinisch children all learned to swim through the summer program in our area and each took a turn enjoying the water to various levels from swimming at Grandma's, to hanging out at Miss Cheryl's pool, to jet skiing with friends.  In all of the years that we had lived on Sunset Drive, I had never once thought about getting a pool.  It stayed that way for me until this summer.  The heat and humid have been absolutely oppressive.  The pandemic has allowed for more time at home these past four months and I know that we would have really gotten a lot of use out of a swimming pool.  Today was one of those days that I would have loved to sit by the pool, enjoying the sunshine and refreshing in the water when it got too hot.  Although I know I would have loved it this summer, overall I am glad that we decided against a swimming pool.  The constant cleaning and fear about little ones falling would have never been worth it.  For a brief moment today, however, it felt like it might have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment