Monday, April 20, 2020

Movie Night

Cal had decided to order a free trial of Starz for a week so that he could see the movie Once Upon Time in Hollywood.  He gave us his login information, so that we could watch it as well.  It wasn't his favorite movie, but he thought we might like it since Doug was a big fan of Leonardo DiCaprio.  We started it Sunday night before the Michael Jordan documentary began.  When we turned it over to ESPN I wasn't sure that we would acutally finish the movie.  It wasn't bad, it was just a little boring.  Cal texted me during the day today and said to keep trying as the second half was a lot better.  Brett agreed.

Even though the boys had encouraged us to keep watching, Doug and I were pleasantly surprised with how much better the movie was once we restarted.  It even had a cameo of one of my favorite actors, Luke Perry in it.  Brett had told us that the main character and his stunt double were based on the real life relationship of Burt Reynolds and his best friend which put a new perspective on the movie for us as well.  Leonaro DiCaprio and Brad Pitt's story was also intertwined with the Manson murders of Sharon Tate.  Since I had read the book Helter Skelter, I knew I had to brace myself for a violent ending.  Instead I was absolutely surprised with what happened in the last twenty minutes.  It had an unexpected twist complete with a flame thrower scene.  I still had to close my eyes due to the extreme violence, but I didn't care as the ending was a lot happier than the true life story.  I wish that it could have ended that way in 1969 as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment