Thursday, April 16, 2020

Brett's Movie Suggestion

Brett had seen the movie Lighthouse in theaters during the fall.  He had asked me to watch it when it came out on video.  I agreed immediately and was actually looking forward to it as it had been nominated for an academy award, got a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes and was labled a psychological thriller.  It even starred Willem Dafoe, so I thought that it would be perfect for Doug and I.

Brett told me last weekend that he wanted to watch the movie again this Thursday, his day off from Bell Trace.  That worked into our schedule as well and I rented it from Vudu today.  Brett watched it this afternoon and Doug and I started the movie at 8 p.m.  By 8:45 Doug and I were asking each other questions such as, "Where do you think this is going? and "Do you think this movie is weird?"  I even heard Doug exclaim, "Oh, that's disgusting."

I texted "This movie is so bizarre" to Brett at 9:20.  He said that he likes bizarre.  I knew then the answer to my next question, "Does it get any better?" before I even sent the text.  Lighthouse was definitely one of the worst movies that either Doug and I had ever seen.  I ranked only Beloved by Oprah Winfrey lower on my all time worst movies list.  Doug felt The English Patient topped it as all time worst, but I couldn't even go that far.

We called Brett as soon as it was over to list our grievances.  Meg joined us on the call as she had unfortunately walked in on the most bizarre and inappropriate scence of the evening.  Brett listened to our complaints and then laughed.  He said that he never promised us a good thriller.  He instead promised us a thriller that he enjoyed.  We got a kick out of that.  I should have known when Brett was picking the movie for our entertainment pleasure that I would definitley be in for something as far away from normal as possible.  Doug, Meg and I laughed about that the rest of the night.  The best part was that for a brief moment it almost felt as though Brett was quarantined with us.  That made watching the movie worth it, even if it was downright awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment