Thursday, December 3, 2020

Driving Karma

I have spent a lot of time being taxied around by Cameron ever since he got his learner's permit in September.  I have been impressed with how well he has done in the driver's seat.  Even with this said, until yesterday, I had not let him drive to Warsaw as I wasn't ready for him to attempt state road 15.  Thankfully, we found a back way into the Warsaw Racquet Club avoiding the deadly highway, so Cameron  could get us to tennis safely yesterday.  Meg rode with us as well which was the first time he had had a passenger in the vehicle that wasn't Doug or I.   

During this critical learning time for Cameron I have tried my best to give him safe driving tips without becoming overbearing.  He knows what intersections are the most dangerous, when to accelerate on a turn, to come to a full stop at a stop sign and most importantly all of the places that are used as police traps on the way to Bethany Christian.  Today he may have learned the most valuable lesson of all and I didn't have anything to do with it.  While driving to school this morning, a car passed us in a 30 mile per hour residential area.  Cam was going the speed limit, but obviously the driver felt that he was in a hurry and couldn't obey the law.  Cam remarked that it was extremely unsafe especially since there were children in the area waiting for the school bus.  He was right, but neither of us were surprised by the driver's decision.  We went up the road a few miles more where the speed limit increased to 45 mph.  Another impatient driver decided to not only pass Cameron, but the car behind him as well all on a hill with a solid yellow line.  It was a little nerve racking, but Cam handled it well.  I asked him if he wanted to yell at the driver, "Hey, I'm going the speed limit."  He said no, he'd just think it instead.  I told him that I was secretly wishing there was a cop at the upcoming silos ready to give him a ticket.  We knew from previous trips that this was definitely a possible as we had seen several police officers hanging out there ready to slow down speeders.  We both laughed thinking about how great that would be when all of a sudden I saw the flashing lights.  Sure enough a police car had pulled over one of the traffice violators ahead of us.  We both quitely cheered as Cameron safely drove by the two cars on the side of the road.  It was the perfect way to learn a valuable driving lesson without even being told.  

No comments:

Post a Comment