Sunday, May 12, 2019

Mother's Day

From all of the Mother's Day posts today on Facebook and Twitter I realize that our traditions on this holiday are quite different than most.  Although I saw a lot of nice pictures of families taking their mothers and grandmothers to brunch, it did not make me want to change our plans.  Years ago we would have been one of those posts, but over time we stopped our family brunch tradition, not because Doug and the Heinisch children refused to take me out, but more because what I really want most on this day was to stay home.  For me Mother's Day has become the perfect day to plant all of the flowers, mulch and get the yard ready for summer.  This is the perfect gift for me and I appreciate Doug's willingness to make my wishes come true.  By 4:00 p.m. this afternoon our flowers, mulch, yard and potted plants all looked fantastic and we had the rest of the evening to enjoy a wonderful Mother's Day dinner. 

Doug grilled steaks, chicken and fish for all of us.  He also made his cucumber/avocado salad that my Mom really likes.  She and Dad joined us and at 6:30 we all sat down to a delicious meal.  After we ate, Grandma and I opened our gifts. She liked the visor and earrings that we picked out for her and I loved my new shoes and butterfly ring.  Meg also gave me a ring tree.  I had never had one before and thought it was a wonderful idea.  The rest of the evening was spent playing pool and cards.  Meg and Nick watched movies while Cal left early to catch the new episode of the Game of Thrones.  Even though the weather was dreary today, it was still the perfect Mother's Day to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment