Sunday, September 9, 2018

Happy Grandparents Day

Grandparents Day was made a national holiday forty years ago.  I didn't need a holiday to remember my grandparents as I made them an important party of my life on a daily basis.  I did appreciate, however, the fact that the day also fell on my CrapPa's birthday, September 9th.  I always thought that it was the perfect way to honor him.  He was an awesome grandfather.  He was supportive of me, listened to me, took an interest in me and made a difference in my life.  He had a story for every circumstance and I never grew tired of hearing him talk.  I have missed him more these past few months than I have in the past few years.  With the extra time in my schedule I have wished on many days that I could walk over to his house and visit with him.

Although I am sad that PawPaw is no longer with us, I am happy that the Heinisch children have supportive grandparents that play an important part in their life.  Each one of them has spent quite a bit of time with them and has expressed gratitude for all that they do for us.  Tonight we invited Grandma Jane and Grandpa Cutes up for dinner.  Although it wasn't specifically to celebrate Grandparents Day, we did have a card, candy and pictures for them to honor the day.  My Dad brought his own gifts for us - Leinenkugel to fill Doug's fridge and roses to fill my favorite vase.  We had a nice dinner together and spent the rest of the evening playing "Oh, Hell!"  Grandpa was the big winner on the night with Grandma following closely behind.  It was fitting that they finished one and two this evening even though Cameron and I grumbled loudly about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment