Thursday, February 9, 2023

Drain Weasel

I have struggled with my shower drain for quite some time.  We tried Drano in it, which always helped, but within a few days I would be standing in a few inches of water once again while showering.  Doug and I even talked about putting our slow draining shower on the plumber to-do list when we called him this spring.  

Our plans changed drastically yesterday morning when I realized that I was standing in water well over my ankles that took over an hour to drain once I turned off the shower.  I knew then that Drano probably wasn't going to solve that problem.  I called my Dad to see what he thought.  He had a plumber's snake, but we would have to figure out how to take off the stopper on the drain to use it.  I really didn't want to do that if I could avoid it.

As I had to run to Walmart yesterday for groceries, I decided to stop by Menards to see if they sold anything that might be able to help.  I was actually surprised by how many products there were for this exact problem.  I read the back of each tool, looked over all of them, and finally picked one that I thought might work.  The name didn't sell me on my choice, but I did get a kick out of it and quickly purchased the "Drain Weasel."  

I showed Cameron my $5.99 prize.  He looked at me right before he left for Goshen and said, "Don't get your hopes up, Mom.  Remember the Christmas light repair gun that never even fixed one bulb?"  I realized that he was right about that disaster, but remained hopeful as most of my other DIY home repairs had actually worked.  Cameron hadn't even made it to New Paris when I called to tell him that I had found success.  The Drain Weasel worked perfectly.  It was disgusting to clean out the drain, but water flowed down it easily afterward.  The main culprit was hair, but I even pulled out a bandaid from when we got our original Covid shots that didn't help the situation.  

I was so excited with my success, that I tried the second Drain Weasel wand on one of my bathroom sinks.  I remembered that I had barely used it lately as it took forever to drain.  A couple quick turns of the handle and instantly the drain was clear.  I called my Dad to offer my plumbing services.  When he saw the number, he was more afraid that I got my hand stuck in the drain.  Thankfully, I didn't need to take the stopper off to use the tool, so there was no concern about that.  I let Doug know about my newfound product as well.  He was so happy that I saved him a plumber's bill that he agreed to try it on Meg's shower upstairs.  After seeing all of the hair in my two drains, I was ok letting him do the next couple.  Later in the evening I realized that the 1970s song "Dream Weaver" was stuck in my head.  I had inadvertently changed the lyrics to "Drain Weasel", however.  Guess it was a sign of a successful purchase.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment