Monday, September 19, 2022

Senior Night

When we received this year's Bethany's boys' tennis schedule, one date stood out in my mind.   September It wasn't because we had to play Fairfield.  Those had always been close matches, but that didn't really bother me.  What left a pit in my stomach was the fact that Monday, September 119th was senior night.  As there were only two senior boys on the team, I knew that it would be a lot of work.  That didn't stress me out, however.  It was the fact that Doug would be at a board meeting in Toronto and I would be there all by myself.  Even though he wasn't at Meg's senior night and it went well, I was just positive that Cameron's senior night would be a disaster.  I think the thought of feeding close to sixty people at the end of the match, keeping the food hot, getting up in front of everyone all by myself just seemed too overwhelming.

Thankfully, the night went off without a hitch.  Doug made brats and macaroni and cheese yesterday before he left, so all I had to do was put them in a crockpot.  I set aside five hours today to get all of the cold items ready and my Mom helped with the prep work.  Matt said that we could put the food in his room to keep warm/cold as needed and I made plans to arrive early to get everything set up before the match.

Cameron and Breece did their part to make senior night memorable as well.  They played a close two set match against a tough #1 doubles team.  We were all impressed with their shot selection and net play.  Cameron served exceptionally well and they won in front of a large crowd filled with their friends, family and teachers.  We found out later that this same team had already beaten Goshen and Westview, which made their win even more impressive.

We had quite awhile to wait until the time for honoring seniors began, but it was well worth it.  Matt gave such heartwarming speeches that Cameron and I both teared up during his.  It had been a wonderful four years of tennis and we appreciated that Matt had recognized that.   The best part of the night for me, however, was listening to Cameron talk about the event with his Dad once we got home.  He was extremely appreciative of how special the evening really was.













No comments:

Post a Comment