Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Weight Loss Success With An Added Bonus

Last January I decided that I wanted to work on losing weight in the new year.  As I didn't really want to disrupt the daily meal plan that we had at home, I decided instead to first increase my exercise time and reduce my portion sizes.  It worked well, but took a lot longer to lose weight than it had in the past.  Over a four month period I had only lost seven pounds.  As my goal was 30 pounds overall, I decided to talk to the doctor about it.

Dr. Freeze felt that the best plan was to check and see if I was insulin resistant.  She said that could be causing the difficulty that I found trying to lose weight.  My A1C blood test confirmed her suspicion and she gave me a choice, either take medication that would lower my pre-diabetic results but cause severe intestinal difficulties or try a low carb diet.  It was an easy choice and I started Weight Watchers on April 11th with the goal to lose 23 more pounds.  Last week was the moment of truth as my A1C blood work returned at a normal level.  I was extremely happy about that, but even more proud when I received my Weight Watchers "goal" pin in the mail days later.

Overall, I didn't really think that much about how the weight loss had affected me physically.  I definitely was able to walk further and exercise harder than when I started. I also noticed that I looked a little thinner from the December pictures that I had just put into the 2020 photo album.  The best payout happened today, however, as I cleaned out my dresser and closet in anticipation of fall weather.  I tried on everything I owned and couldn't believe the difference in how my clothes fit.  Pants that I couldn't even put on last January now fit perfectly.  I even had a few pairs that were too big that I had to box up for Goodwill.  There was a pair of shorts and jeans that I hadn't even taken the tags off of as I gained weight shortly after I bought them.  The best feeling was when I tried on a pair of dress pants that I hadn't been able to wear in more than three years.  They fit perfectly.  What an awesome bonus to losing weight - it was almost like getting a whole new wardrobe for free.  

No comments:

Post a Comment