Wednesday, September 8, 2021

A Walk Down Memory Lane

 With the garage sale over and Cameron and Meg back in school, I have had some extra time to work on projects at home.  Doug and I talked about all that we needed to do before we moved.  It seemed a little overwhelming at first, but the more we talked and the more I thought about it, I felt that the best thing to do was to get started.  

Number one on my to-do list was to begin consolidating the memory items in our home.  Realizing that I not only needed to sort through all of the Heinisch family memorabilia, but also quite a bit of the Brucker family's as well, I had to come up with a plan of what to tackle first.  Brett didn't have a lot still stored at our home, but since he was coming home next week, it made sense to start with his belonging's first.  Thus, last week I headed downstairs and pulled all of his photos, certificates, medals and ribbons off of the walls.  I then gathered together all of his trophies and plaques for him to sort through as well.  

Yesterday, I continued my project by sorting through everything in the three tubs that I had used to save Brett's school day memories.  I organized it all in neat piles so that he could look through it easier.  When I finished, I called him and apologized for keeping as much as I did.  I was sure that he didn't need his second grade Valentine's, but just in case he did, they were there.

Today, I moved on to a project that involved all of his siblings as well.  I pulled out all of the blankets that had been given to the Heinisch four over the years.  Some were handmade and others were inherited.  In the end the four of them were able to look through them all and decide what they wanted to keep. 

There was definitely a lot of wonderful memories in all that I cleaned out these past few days.  It made me feel a little sad to walk down memory lane, but I did pretty well through it all.  That was until Cal sent me something that he saw on Twitter.  In honor of the show's 25th anniversary, Nick Jr. had posted a video of Steve from Blues Clues reminiscing about the fun that everyone had had with Blue and how sad it was when he left for college.  He commented on how much they had all grown since that time period and how he had never stopped thinking of them.  It definitely tugged at the heartstrings, especially when I found Cal's beloved Blues Clues blanket in our window seat shortly afterward.  To honor the day and all of the memories flooding through the Heinisch home tonight, Doug chose the first song for our Spotify playlist tonight - "Silly Hat". It was the perfect song to end a week of sorting through the Heinisch family memories.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment