Wednesday, September 15, 2021

26 Years of Memories All in Two Days

Brett arrived home Monday night.  He had a dentist appointment on Tuesday morning that he had rescheduled from July when his hours at work changed.  Even though we had just seen him last weekend, he wanted to make sure that he had his six month cleaning completed before anything else conflicted with the appointment.  I was glad as it was really nice to have him home.  The last time that Doug was in Ocala for a week and Cameron was busy with school and tennis, it got pretty boring around the Heinisch home.  Therefore, I appreciated the company.  Brett and I were able to talk several long walks, attend Cameron's tennis match and watch a few episodes of Seinfeld with Cam afterward.

As relaxing as Brett's time was at home, we did have one major project to complete.  Brett had three tubs of childhood memories to sort through along with all of the plaques, trophies, certificates that I pulled off the basement walls.   I helped him as much as possible, but it was a lot of work for him deciding what to keep and what to purge.  Brett couldn't believe all that I had saved and we both enjoyed looking through it.  Some of the memorabilia Brett was happy to keep, others went straight to the trash pile.  It was fun to see what was important to him and what wasn't.  There were only a couple of items that he thought about getting rid of that I encouraged him to keep.  One was his 4 team championship toddler Bulls t-shirt.  Brett was never a Bulls or basketball fan, but he knew that his dad was and he did remember the hype around Michael Jordan, so he didn't mind putting it back in the tub.  There was only one time that Brett teared up as he was sorting through his childhood artifacts.  When I asked him what was making him sad, he said that it really wasn't anything specific, just nostalgic memories of his childhood.  I could relate as that was how I felt last week when I started this project.  

I was impressed with all that Brett accomplished in the forty-eight hours that he was home.  In the end he filled two garbage bags of trash and was able to consolidate all of his memories into two tubs instead of three.  It was definitely overwhelming at times, but fun just the same.  I enjoyed the time with him and appreciate that he reintroduced me to the Love Boat which was a lot of fun to watch and brought back a ton of memories as well.  



No comments:

Post a Comment