Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Senior Night

Tonight was senior night on the tennis courts at Bethany.  I was nervous about the event as it had taken some coordinating between the senior parents and our family to get the information out to everyone.  I was also a little bit worried about the Spanish rice that I was making as it was the first time that I had made the side dish for those outside of our family.  The part that made me the most anxious, however, was the weather forecast.  A storm was supposed to hit around 6 p.m. and I wasn't exactly sure what would happen if that occurred.

The match started early because of the predicted rain.  Cameron was riding a high from his play last night at Chesterton.  He had only won one game in the two set match, but he played extremely well.  He used the energy from that match to come out on fire tonight winning the first 5 games.  His Blackhawk Christian opponent rallied, holding serve twice and breaking Cameron once, but after the short rain delay ended, Cameron won the next two points to win the first set.  As the sun was shining at the start of the second set, I really thought that they'd get in another hour of tennis.  Shortly, after the first game in the second set started, however, the skies opened up and it was obvious that the match would have to be postponed.  

As the boys scrambled to find shelter, two of the senior parents and I drove around to the small pavilion behind Bethany.  Earlier in the day Matt had made an alternative plan to hold senior night under cover in case of rain and we were thankful for that.  Once the cake, food and tables were ready, I drove back to the courts to find the team and let them know that everything was ready.  The boys had just returned to the tennis courts to sing their victory song.  Blackhawk Christian wasn't able to come up with another date to complete the match and since every varsity court had won their first set, the Bruins had no problem calling the match in Bethany's favor.

For all of my worries today, senior night was a nice celebration for the five boys on the team.  It did rain, but the pavilion provided enough shelter for all who attended.  Matt gave very nice speeches for each of the seniors and my Spanish rice turned out better than I would have expected.  The cake that was decorated by the deli person at Kroger also looked better than anyone would have predicted and the senior class turned out in full force to support the boys.  Overall, it was a wonderful event and I was glad to have participated.  

No comments:

Post a Comment