Friday, August 21, 2020

Still So Incredibly Missed

 Six years ago this week Jeanette lost her battle with ovarian cancer.  It was such a sad time in the Heinisch family life that I don't really like to think about that week.  Instead I try to focus on the good memories that we have of Grandma Heinisch and the wonderful person that she was inside and out.  She was an excellent example of how to follow a child's interest and encourage life long learning.  She focused on what her grandchildren liked or what they were into at the moment.  Doug told me many times that that was the way she parented as well and a philosophy that he has carried over into his life as a father.  It shows in the unique, individual personalities of our four children. 

Even when Jeanette was close to the end of her time on this Earth, she was still supportive of all of our children's endeavors.  She was the first person they would call when they had good news.  It didn't matter how big or how small, she was always excited for them.  Neither Doug nor I like to brag about the Heinisch children's successes in life, but we always knew that we could to her.  It is those calls that I miss the most.  Telling her about Brett's new job, Cal's graduation, Meg's apartment, Cam's tennis match are just a few items that I would love to call her about now.  Just thinking about it makes me cry, so instead I will chose to focus on the happy faces in the pictures below or her words on the last time I called her and asked how she was doing.  Her response, "A lot better, now that I'm talking to you" still makes my heart smile.




No comments:

Post a Comment