Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Another Day, Another Dead Battery

Doug took my mom's van to work today so that we could get the oil changed in our van.  The light had come on and we didn't want to drive it to DeKalb until we took care of it.  As Doug had my Mom's van to drive I then took the CR-V to school.  It was slick out this morning, but it drove well and I wasn't worried about it's reliability at all.

After school I picked up Cameron for his weekly tennis lesson.  It had continued to snow/sleet most of the day, but the roads weren't too bad and we made it without incident.  While Cam had his lesson I ran to Walmart to pick up some food for our trip to DeKalb tomorrow.  I got back in plenty of time to watch him play.  He has really improved and it has been fun to watch.  We left ready to get home to dinner and packing for the weekend.  We got in the CR-V, turned the key and all we heard was "click, click, click."  I couldn't believe it.  I had just driven it and it was fine.  I thought that maybe I had done something wrong, but it didn't matter what I tried the car would not turn over.

My next course of action was to call Doug in tears.  I was tired and it was late.  I knew we still had an evening full of packing and a long day tomorrow.  Doug had just gotten out of the shower and still needed to pick up the van at Monteith, but said he'd be there as soon as possible.  As we waited I noticed a man in the van beside us.  I finally got the courage to get out and tell him our dilemma.  He was the perfect person to reach out to.  He was happy to help and had all the supplies we needed.  He showed Cam how to jump start a car and within ten minutes we were up and running.  I was so happy and appreciative that he took the time to help us.  I called Doug as we left the parking lot to let him know that we were on our way.  He was only halfway to the racquet club, so he didn't have far to go to get back home.

While we were jumping the CR-V I noticed that the cable was completely corroded.  Therefore, when  I got home Doug grabbed the coke bottle and toothbrush, popped the hood and started to work.  It looked a lot better in the end, but we decided to borrow Mom's van again for tomorrow.  We had a tight schedule and knew that getting stranded in Bristol would really put us in a bind.  It seems that we have had more trouble with batteries this winter than any other.  Everyone of the vehicles has died except the van.  I hope this was the last of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment