Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Today I finished my goal of completing the original Harry Potter series for the second time.  Although Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was over 750 pages, it was a quick read.  I couldn't put it down as there were so many details that I had forgotten and was absolutely fascinated with how well this book tied up all of the loose ends from the first six.  Once I did finish the series, Doug and I started the Deathly Hallows Part 1 on DVD.  It wasn't a movie that we had watched often, and we both really enjoyed it.  Doug was surprised with how much of it that he had forgotten and I found it extremely interesting in how different the screenplay was from the book.

The other part of the book that left me almost dumbfounded was how much the story of Deathly Hallows mirrored our real life experience with the COVID-19 pandemic.  Large groups of individuals had to go into hiding to stay safe from Lord Voldemort much like our recent stay at home orders.  Businesses closed due to lack of employees and customers.  The ministry of magic was in a political war with those fighting against the death eaters.  Outspoken individuals that disagreed with the ministry's orders were thrown in Azkaban prison.  A small group worked frantically to defeat Lord Voldemort with little information to help their cause almost exactly like "operation warp speed" to find a cure or vaccine for the coronavirus.  All in all the war in the magical world of Harry Potter lasted close to a year and many lives were lost.  When I finished the book and thought about all of the similarities, my hope was that soon we would all be standing together cheering on the victory over the pandemic and subsequent economic crisis besting the one year time frame that it took in the wizarding world.

No comments:

Post a Comment