Friday, August 15, 2014

Little Women

Five years ago Brett's high school put on the musical Little Women.  It was the only play or musical in the four years that he was a student at Wawasee that I missed.  Brett did not try out for the play.  Instead he ushered several of the performances.  He told me over and over how wonderful the musical was.  I believed that he felt that way, but I couldn't imagine that one of my favorite stories could get much better than the book.

When I found out that The Round Barn would be preforming the musical before Brett left for IU, Meg and I decided that we would make time to go with him to see it.  She had read the story as had Brett and I and was curious to see how it would be as a musical as well.  I am happy to report that all three of us thoroughly enjoyed it.

The tale is a little different than the book and in a slightly altered order.  This did not detract from the characters or the storyline.  We all found ourselves saddened by the death of Beth much as when we read it for the first time.  None of us are still quite sure why Jo married Professor Baer instead of Laurie, but we excepted it in the end.

I am happy that I fulfilled a promise to Brett tonight.  It didn't matter to me whether I loved the musical or not.  He really wanted me to see it with him and I had a great time doing so.  I will miss him when he leaves next Friday, but I am ever so happy that he has found his niche at IU.

No comments:

Post a Comment