There have been many times over the past few years that Cameron, Cal or Doug have told me that I am Bill Simmons, their favorite podcaster. I can see that as we are close to the same age and have a lot of the same interest in specific movies. He also saw Jaws in the theater when it first came out along with several other films that were not age appropriate. He survived as did I, so I figured it just made us tougher.
The one undeniable similarity that I cannot deny is the amount of times that we both misspeak in everyday conversation. Wrong word, wrong name, wrong meaning, it doesn’t matter, he mispronounces them all. One day when a younger co-host corrected him on the pronunciation of a name, he told them that he had verbal dyslexia so he would probably never get it right. They asked him if it was a real thing. He laughed and said he didn’t know, but if it was, he definitely had it.
I also laughed when he said it as that would explain a lot about me as well. I had been mispronouncing words for as long as I could remember speaking. When I taught, my students got so used to it that I overheard one of them tell a new kid, “It’s Mrs. Heinisch, just go with it” when I called him the wrong name for several days. I appreciated that sentiment. My own children have adopted a version of that over the years as well. Several of them have said that they “speak Mom” so I don’t have to explain every time I say the wrong thing. Even my Google Home Mini has adapted to my mispronunciations over the years.
For some reason I decided today to lookup if verbal dyslexia was a real diagnosis. This was the definition that showed up on my phone. I don’t know if it was real or not, but it did explain my issues with speech perfectly, especially the last statement. I do think a lot faster than I speak and it does trip me up all of the time. I don’t know if there is a cure for verbal dyslexia, but I wouldn’t care if there was. Just like with Bill Simmons, those who know me best just “go with it” and for that I am very thankful.
No comments:
Post a Comment