Friday, January 15, 2021

Interent Blues

In December we received a notice from Mediacom that they would be increasing our internet speed.  We were glad to hear the news, but since we had never really had problems with our internet it wasn't much of a priority to us.  Shortly, after the transition, however, that changed.  Videos started buffering and downloads became slower and slower.  Asurion even contacted us via email with a way to check the speed as they had noticed an issue on our cell phones.  Once we tested it we realized that we did have an issue as our speed was supposed to be at 50 and it was actually at 3.  Unplugging the router did help, but for the most part we still had problems several times a day.  

A few days after the internet test, we received an email from Mediacom.  They offered to replace our modem for free as they felt that our old one was not be able to handle the increased speed.  We agreed and they shipped the new modem immediately.  I was a little nervous about the transition, but overall I knew that I was pretty knowledgeable when it came to technology resolving multiple problems at home this past year.  

The modem arrived this morning and I began the installation process.  After following all of the steps I easily replaced the old one and got the computer up and running via ethernet.  I was pleased with the progress until I tried to set up the wifi.  The instructions on it were a little confusing, so I called Mediacom.  They were helpful to a point, but since the router wasn't from them, they were limited with what they could do. After trying a lot of different configurations the best option seemed to be either buy a new router or have Mediacom inact the built in router in the modem and come out next week to install extenders in our home to increase its capability.  I decided in the end to try both options.  I set up the appointment and then spent time researching a router through Target that would work in a 4000 square foot home.  I finally found one and ordered it in time that we could pick it up after we got Cameron from school.  

In the end it took me three hours to complete all of this and I realized that I needed to get in the shower immediately or we would be late to Bethany.  As I got ready something that the person with the Mediacom tech department said popped into my head.  Before he hung up he said to try Netgear and see if they had any ideas on fixing our router.  I didn't have a lot of time, but Googled my exact problem and instantly the solution showed up.  I hurried and reset the router's radio band and within ten minutes Meg and I were able to once again reconnect phones, laptops and televisions.  I was thrilled.  Doug cancelled the Mediacom appointment for me and I went ahead and picked up the router.  We decided that it would be best to have a backup in case this became a recurring problem.  With Cal and Doug working at home and Meg and Cam doing school work online, we had to have reliable internet.  The best part was that after we picked up the new router Meg, Cam and I stopped to get Ben's pretzels to celebrate.  

No comments:

Post a Comment