Friday, January 22, 2021

The Waterpik Family

The week that lockdown started Cameron and I were scheduled to have a dental check up.  The office called to cancel the appointments without word of when we could reschedule.  Once they did open back up, we decided as a family to wait and see if dentist offices were the super spreaders that bars, churches, gyms and other offices had become.  

During that time period I was more than worried about our family's dental health but wasn't sure what to do about it.  When Brett finally decided to go ahead and visit the dentist, we found out from him that it was relatively safe from a COVID stand point.  It wasn't quite the orthodontist level of PPE wearing and iodine rinses, but overall I felt that we could schedule the rest of the Heinisch children for a check up.

The other message that Brett relayed from his visit was that missing a check up had left him in need of changes to his dental routine.  As he talked about his concerns I remembered that at Meg's last visit her hygienist had recommended a Waterpik.  Meg said that she really liked it and thought that it helped tremendously especially since she still had braces.  I offered to get Brett one and after trying it he echoed Meg's sentiments.

Since both of them had a favorable opinion of using the dental tool and I was still waiting to go back to the dentist, I decided to ask for one for Christmas.  I am so glad that I did.  Over the years I had broken multiple molars from grinding my teeth and had to have several crowns to repair them.  It was a lot harder to take care of those than my regular teeth.  I was floored when I first tried out the Waterpik.  It solved all of the issues that I was having in keeping my teeth cleaned.  I have told Doug at least a dozen times since December just how much I love the new tool. 

Knowing how well it had worked for Brett, Meg and I, I asked Cameron if he was interested in one.  Cameron just looked at me and rolled his eyes.  As he walked up the stairs I heard him say, "Oh, great, now Mom's obsessed and we're going to become the Waterpik family."  I backed off after that as I didn't want him to join Doug and Cal in thinking that I was the crazy tooth lady.  Who knows, maybe one day they'll join my enthusiasm for teeth cleaning, but something tells me not to count on it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment