Saturday, January 16, 2021

Blackbirds Singing in the Dead of Night

 Ok, so we really don't have any blackbirds in our yard that like to sing at night as the Beatle wrote about, but we have had quite a few other birds around our home over the years.  I have always enjoyed feeding them and this year has been no different.  The one thing that has changed, however, has been the frequency of our feathered friends.  I had noticed about a month ago that we hadn't been getting as many birds at our feeders as in previous months.  That seemed strange to me as in the past our trees had been filled with Wrens, Cardinals, Doves, Finches, Woodpeckers and even the occasional Oriole.  

The only time that I had seen the quantity of birds that we had this fall was when I put shelled peanuts out.  The treat had always brought a flock of Blue Jays and that had not changed, but it was also the only time that we had seen other birds as well.  We loved feeding the Blue Jays and watching them crack their peanut shells on a branch in our front yard.  Doug had been timing them on his virtual working days at home to see how quickly they could empty a feeder and most of the time they had cleared it out within a half hour.  

While watching them we remembered that Uncle Maury had told us before that Blue Jays were the ones who let the other birds know that it was safe to eat.  Knowing that I decided to research the cause of the issue in our yard.  It didn't take me long as all I had to do was follow the tracks around my feeders.  Sure enough the "Bumpus' Hounds" from next door were running through the side of our yard barking at every animal in their path.  It wasn't the first time that I had been frustrated with the neighbors dogs, but I realized that there wasn't much that I could do to stop their antics.  Therefore, I decided that I'd just have to buy more peanuts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment