Monday, January 28, 2019

An Awful Day All Around

This morning we woke up to the snow that was forecasted all week.  I was surprised that when I saw that Bethany didn't have a delay.  I then noticed that no one in Elkhart County did, which seemed odd since everyone south of US 6 had delayed or cancelled.  I called Doug to see what he thought of the roads.  He said that they weren't too bad when he left for work at 6 a.m., especially the trip to Bethany.

Thus, we decided that I would take Cam and Meg.  At first it didn't seem too bad, but as we got within three miles of Bethany the roads became almost impassable.  It took us almost fifteen minutes to make the trip from CR 29 to Bethany on State Road 15.  Normally, we would make that in two minutes.  Not only were the roads horrible, but Meg was really mad about having to go.  As Wawasee cancelled, Cam and Meg technically did not have to go to school today.  They were late, but we made it safely.  I thought the day would get better after that, but it didn't.

The trip home was worse as the snow began to drift.  I was relieved to pull in the garage.  I did have to go back out for physical therapy.  There was an accident in the middle of town, but at least their roads had been plowed.  The county hadn't touched ours.  Once I got back I decided that I had better start shoveling the driveway.  The snow was wet and once I finished a few rows, I realized that it was going to take a lot longer than I originally thought.

The rest of the day was a tough one.  I spent over three hours in total today on our driveway.  While I was out there, Doug called to let me know that Bethany was releasing early.  I was surprised as it was actually better than when they went in to school.  I left to pick up Cam.  The roads were still awful, but we made it without incident.  I was glad that Cam was home to help me finish the heavy parts of the shoveling.

Doug picked Meg up at 4 from practice.  Her day had gone from bad to worse.  I was sad to hear that.  I wished that I could have started the day over and let her stay home, but since we couldn't do that we did our best to made the most of the evening.  By 9 p.m. she felt a lot better.  I think it helped to learn that Bethany had cancelled school for the next two days due to snow and cold temperatures.  Nothing wipes away the blues better than a snow day!

No comments:

Post a Comment