Thursday, May 31, 2018

Time to Say Goodbye

Today was the last day of school and my last one as a teacher.  Doug and I had decided in April that this would be the end of my six year journey of teaching FACS and math at Milford school.   I had  enjoyed being a teacher and a mentor to my students, but the issues with my joints, Doug's new position with Champion and the large class sizes had worn me out physically.   I just wasn't able to juggle both responsibilities anymore.  We had discussed leaving earlier in the year, but I really wanted to make it to the end.  It was hard on the Heinisch family as I couldn't do as much at home with all of my energy being spent in the classroom.

Today, however, when I read a heartfelt letter that one of my students had written to me, I knew that I had made the right choice.  Not only had my sixth graders grown over the year, but I had as well.  I had pushed myself professionally more with this group than I had ever had to in the past.  In October when I was sure that I would never make it to May, I started setting small goals with them and with myself.  There were good days and bad, but as I walked out of my classroom today I realized that we had met each and every one that we set out to accomplish.  I couldn't have been more proud of my students or myself.  I will miss teaching.  I loved being a part of those "aha" moments.  I will especially miss being a mentor to those who just needed someone to listen.  I was thankful for their hugs today and I understood those who just couldn't say goodbye.  No matter how hard it was to leave the students and the friends that I had made teaching, all I could do was smile on my drive home.  I will now be able to devote full time to the role that I have loved more than anything else in this whole world - mom and wife of the Heinisch family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment