Thursday, December 11, 2014

Kindred Spirits

About a month ago one of my students asked if he could come down and help me with any projects during recess.  I hadn't asked for volunteers and didn't have anything to do that day, but I told him if he still wanted to come down the next day I would let him.  I have had students in my room at recess before, but most want to come in groups or come in to work on their projects.  I never lack for volunteers when I need help, but this time I was caught off guard as it was the beginning of the trimester and these students didn't know that I would let them come in if they wanted to.

So, the next day I thought of a few small projects.  We are cleaning out the last of the sewing cabinets and still had some small items to sort.  I left some for him to do and sure enough he was ready to help.  The student didn't talk much at first.  I'd ask a few questions, but mostly we listened to music and sorted pins and needles.

Over the next few weeks I noticed that he came down more and more, so I came up with more and more projects for us to do.  I had asked him if he ever wanted to bring a friend down and play a game as he could do that as well, but he didn't have an interest in that.  The more he came down the more he began to talk about the vacations he took a couple of years ago, the cousins he liked and didn't like and his Christmas wish list.

One day I asked him if he knew that I had an older brother that died at thirteen just like him.  He said he didn't, and we didn't dwell on that fact, but it gave me an opportunity to tell him how much I missed my brother and wondered what he missed as well.  He knew exactly what he missed and loved telling me all about the time he spent with his brother.  It was fun listening to his stories and seeing his eyes light up when he talked.

I do not know how this little guy knew to ask me if he could come to my room that day, but I am sure glad that he did.  Although we do not talk about the sadness of losing a brother, I sure understand how he feels.  One day your life changes on a dime and after that there is always a part of you that just isn't whole.  I know that for him it feels great to tell someone about all of the fun you had being a younger sibling of a beloved brother.  Someday I know that he will no longer need to visit my room at recess.  Until then I will give up a part of my lunch hour to do projects with him.  It is the best way I know to honor both of our brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment