Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Forgiveness

I have heard many people talk about forgiveness.  Over the years I believe that it has been one of the hardest things for me to do.  A priest told me once many years ago that I was one who had a book on the shelf in my mind for each and every person who had ever wronged me.  At anytime I could take a book off of the shelf and recite exactly why I was mad at someone and why that person did not deserve my forgiveness.  It sounded harsh, but he was exactly right.

As I have grown and changed over time I realized that these books were not about hate or forgiveness they were a shield for me.  It was my way of protecting myself from ever getting hurt again.  It wasn't that I couldn't forgive, I just didn't want to forget.

It has taken a lot of work these past six months, but I no longer have books filled with those who have wronged me.  Instead I have books in my mind filled with the goodness of others and at times even myself.  It hasn't been easy, but I am so glad that I have been able to do what my priest wanted me to do so long ago - forgive and forget. That is why I always loved this priest.  He told you exactly what you needed to hear and gave you ways to heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment