Tuesday, July 25, 2017

One Scary Ride

Today was the tournament of champions at Warren Golf Course in South Bend.  Cameron was excited to play and proud to qualify in the boys age 12-13 year old division.  He had to tee off at 10:15, so he and my parents left around 8:15 a.m.  Cam played well especially since they used different tees than were listed on the website adding at least five hundred extra yards.  Out of the champions he finished fourth shooting a 49.

Cam called when he finished to tell me that he had done.  He was excited to say that they were heading to Golden Coral for lunch.  He hadn't eaten there in years.  I followed them on Find My Phone several times as they headed home.  Just as I was starting to wonder if he would be stopping at Grandma's first or at my home the phone rang.  It was my Mom letting me know that they had been on an accident on Syracuse-Milford road.

I could hear my Dad asking Cameron if he was alright and thought I'd better head to the accident scene.  Meg went with me and we were there within minutes of  the first responders.  Both Meg and I were shocked by what we found.  Cameron was lying in the grass with his left hand and leg covered in blood.  The EMT was working with him.  My Dad was dazed, but walking around.  He looked the best.  My Mom's face was marked from flying glass and although she was upright, she wasn't quite making much sense.  The car was completely smashed in on the driver's side with all of the windows shattered.  Meg took one look at everyone and ran back to the van crying.

I walked with Cam to the ambulance.  They wrapped his hand and asked me if I wanted him to go to the hospital.  As his leg and knee were hurting a lot I thought it was best.  They said that I couldn't decide for my parents, but I could strongly encourage them to go.  I talked to my Dad and asked him to have he and Mom go as well as the airbags had deployed.  I had read that all accidents with airbag deployment are serious enough for a trip to the hospital.  Dad agreed.

They had to call another ambulance as they can only transfer two at a time.  Cameron rode with my Dad and Mom rode on her own.  Meg and I followed along and met them at the emergency room.  My Dad and Cameron were taken to one room and my Mom another.  My Dad's ribs were hurting a lot as was his neck and back.  My Mom's main pains were in her stomach, back and chest.  Within an hour of us arriving Cal, HM, Vicky and Doug had joined us in the ER as well.  The waiting game was long as Mom and Dad both had to have x-rays and CT scans.  Cameron only needed an x-ray on his left hand and leg.  The took those after they removed all of the glass and cleaned him up first.  That part was painful, but the good news was nothing was broken.  He would have to follow up with the doctor regarding the lump on his knee, but the doctor wasn't too concerned about it causing longterm problems.

Cameron was released by 6:15.  Cal, HM and Meg left just before he did.  Doug ran to Subway for me, which I appreciated.  He then took Cam home.  My Dad was the next to be released.  His scans and x-rays were clear.  They gave him some pain medication and sent him on his way.  My Mom took a lot longer to get released.  The pain in her back and chest were severe and she was having a hard time getting up out of bed.  Doug came back over to help get their medications filled before the pharmacy closed at 9.  He took Dad with him and I stayed with Mom.  Cal went to Aunt Vicky's to get her walk for Mom to use and I was able to get her home, changed and in the recliner by 9:30.

Dad said he'd sleep on the couch downstairs, so once Doug and I made sure they were situated we left to check on Cameron.  He was pretty shaken up and his hand and leg hurt, but overall Cam was doing well.  He was disappointed that we didn't get to play his new game - "Coo Rebellion,"  but we promised him to do so tomorrow night.  He decided to sleep in Meg's room in case he needed anything in the middle of the night and by 11 p.m. they were sound asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment