Thursday, September 7, 2017

More Tests, More Answers

I started the morning early at the rheumatologist.  He was friendly and nice as usual and provided me with quite a bit of information.  He read the left knee x-ray to me which revealed that I had cartilage missing on the interior side.  With therapy, medication and injections the pain should improve, but it would always be an issue.  He strongly recommended using an elliptical or a bike once I was able to exercise again.  My wrist x-ray was normal so I won't need anymore follow up on that.  He felt that there wasn't a fracture in the ankle and that the main concern was the tendonitis, fluid and ligament damage.  He strongly recommended therapy for that along with the knee.  He was fearful that the orthopedic doctor would push surgery and he did not want me to have that.  We agreed to stay on the medication he prescribed and meet again in six weeks.  He was very hopeful that I would start physical therapy by then and see some positive results by then.

My next stop of the day was Dr. Szynal.  Joan had to perform nerve testing on my leg to check to see if the tarsal nerve was trapped in the ankle tendon tunnel.  I was so glad that she was doing the test.  We've know Joan since we moved here nineteen years ago and we had a lot to talk about.  That kept my mind off how painful the test was.  In the end she was able to inform me that the nerve was not trapped and instead we talked about therapy.  She agreed with Dr. Mohr that the ankle was severely damaged, but surgery would not be the best option.  I was relieved.

My last doctor's appointment of the day was with the dentist.  For this one I got to pick up Cameron at Bethany and take him with me.  We both needed a cleaning and once again good news was heard - no cavities.  Cam made it back to school in time for Bible and soccer practice - two of his favorites.  Meg had a game at South Bend Riley tonight.  With all of the driving I did today - South Bend to Goshen to Syracuse to Goshen to Syracuse again - I opted out of going to the game.  The weather deterred me as well.  It rained most of the day and only made it to the upper 50's.  Doug texted me several times from the game to give me updates.  Meg played wing for over half of the game had an assist.  The girls won 3-0 which puts them at 6-1.  Meg was pretty happy when she arrived home which was nice to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment