Saturday, September 9, 2017

Happy Birthday CrapPa

Today would have been my Grandpa's 95th birthday.  We celebrated his last birthday on this Earth ten years ago.  I think about my Grandfather almost daily and try not to dwell on his death.  He meant the world to me.  I spent half of my youth following him around learning how to fix anything and everything.  The stories he told while we were in his garage or finishing a project were always fascinating to me.  His youth and adventures in World War II were a constant topic and I could never get enough of them.

My grandpa taught me much more about life than just how to fix items.  He taught me to be patient and kind.  From him I learned that doing a job meant doing it correctly.  He stressed that understanding was imperative in all situations and hard work was a must.  These lessons have served me well in life.  The values he taught me helped me choose a husband and to raise the Heinisch children.

I wish that all children had a CrapPa in their life, a friend in their corner and a crutch to lean on.  Today I cried the same tears that I shed so many years ago when I heard he had died.  They were selfish tears. He had lived a good life and his body could no longer fight the cancer that ravaged inside of him.  Still I couldn't help but think that the stories had stopped.  The week before he died he had told me one about a baseball game in his army unit that I had never heard before.  As my tears dried and we headed out the door to a day of Heinisch children events I realized that the stories never really stopped.  My Grandpa's blood may have never run through my veins, but his love was ever in my heart and as long as I was alive his memories would be shared for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment