Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Math, Math and More Math

Mastery Algebra has taken on a life of its own at school.  Right now students have to retest and requiz on every standard until they have 75% correct or higher.  Once they get to 75% they can keep taking tests and quizzes until the earn a 100%.  It is great in theory, but it has become more work than I can handle.  I spend my lunch hour and prep grading papers, making copies and coming up with make up work for those who have not mastered the individual standards.  I am also afraid that some of my students have not tried their best on each and every test and quiz as they know they can take it again and again.  Our class average on our current quiz was lower than normal which means it will take a lot of work over the next few days to get everyone caught back up.

For the past month I have had students in my classroom at Warrior Time, Lunch and Success time trying to finish homework, take tests and quizzes.  I love teaching math, but I do not believe I can keep this pace going.  I hope the time off over Thanksgiving break will give me a much needed break.

No comments:

Post a Comment