Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Summer Storm

I had a hard time falling asleep last night.  There were storms headed our way and I was concerned.  I finally nodded off when a little before 1:00 a.m.a siren blasted from my cell phone.  Both Doug and I jumped out of bed and grabbed our phones.  It was a tornado alert.  Our county was under a tornado warning.  We quickly got Meg, Cameron and Cal downstairs.  They all piled into the toy room.  The boys took the bunk bed and Meg the couch.  I told them to go ahead and sleep downstairs since we did not know how long the storm would last.  They were out within a few minutes.

Brett was already downstairs working on his paper for class.  He and I stayed up until 1:45 a.m.  By then the tornado warning had been lifted, but we had lost power.  I crawled back into bed and listened to the storm outside.  There was definitely a lot of wind.  I had a hard time sleeping, but finally drifted off.  Our power was restored at 4 a.m. which we later found out was a real blessing as some in our area are to be out for days.

This morning Meg and I drove around Syracuse looking for any signs of damage from the storm.  There were many limbs and branches down.  Some large trees had been uprooted and Doug even said that he had to drive under a tree to get to work.  Of all the damage, however, I couldn't believe my eyes when we pulled up to the high school.  The wind had taken out the fence and bleachers on the tennis court.  It had also blown down the fence on the soccer field and bent the end posts.  The concession stand was overturned as well as the band viewing tower.  Both soccer team dugouts had extensive damage with the roofs being thrown halfway down the hill behind them.  I believe it will be awhile before everything is repaired or replaced.

After looking over the destruction of this storm I couldn't help but feel lucky. We only had a few branches and limbs down in our yard and lot.  It will take a while for the town to clean up all of the damage.  I hope this is the last big storm of the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment