Tuesday, April 1, 2014

April Fools

My 6th grade class was busy working on their children toys, games and books today, so I decided to sit down at my computer to log in attendance.  This is a rarity for me as usually someone needs something and I am all over the classroom helping with one project or another.  Today, however, everyone seemed to be busy.  As I sat down I took hold of my computer mouse and moved it around on the mousepad as I have done a thousand times before.  For the first time ever, nothing happened.  I looked all over for the arrow on the computer screen, but it wasn't there.  I decided that I must have needed my glasses, so I located them, moved the mouse again, but nothing.  Then it dawned on me, the Smart Board was on and the mouse must be on that screen.  Thus, once again, I moved the mouse anxiously looking at the Smart Board, but it still couldn't find it.

At this point I started to become a little anxious.  I had already filled out a help desk ticket for my classroom computers and I know that it takes awhile to get help.  Just as I was ready to unplug the computer and see if that was the problem, one of my sixth graders couldn't take it anymore.  Jonas had to let me in on a little secret.  At the bottom of my mouse, they had covered the wireless connection with a sticker so that it wouldn't work.  I had to laugh.  Obviously, they got a big kick out of their April Fool's prank and so did I.  There are so many students in that class that were favorites of mine from last year.  We are always joking with each other.  They got me good.

When the original prankster returned from borrowing a stapler, I told him how disappointed I was in Jonas for touching my computer mouse.  I explained that Jonas would now be receiving a detention for his prank.  At that point, Billy panicked and admitted to the entire scheme, and we enjoyed letting him know that I was just getting him back.  I do not ever remember anyone pulling a true April Fools joke on me.  I was glad it was them.  Tomorrow they will receive "Smarties" for outsmarting the teacher.  I love that class.  They are a bright spot in my morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment