Monday, March 10, 2014

Keep Calm and ISTEP On

Tomorrow is the first day of ISTEP testing at our school.  Although I have never been a supporter of standardized testing, I do understand that the state feels that they are important.  Thus, the Heinisch family has always taken them seriously.  We use the days before to practice and talk about ways to score better.

This year our school has also taken the ISTEP testing seriously.  Not that they haven't before, but as the state now uses students' growth as one of its criteria in assigning grades to each individual school in the state, it has become important to all.  Several of the staff members decided to produce an ISTEP video for the students, encouraging rest, breakfast and relaxing before the test.  It ended up being a big hit with the students, and I know my classes watched it several times last week.

The 5th and 6th grade team also decided to start a competition between teachers (including the Encore group) promoting high growth with the winning team earning a pizza party at the end of the year.  I have to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed being part of it.  My group came up with the motto "Keep Calm and ISTEP on."  Our name is an acronym "HHGHD" which cannot be revealed yet.  We talk about "kicking butt on the test and how smart we all are."  The students have really enjoyed the challenge.  I hope it helps with our school's scores, but at the very least it has made ISTEP week a little more fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment