Thursday, March 6, 2014

Bittersweet

Tonight was the final game of Milford's 7th grade girls basketball season. We lost in the opening round of the conference tournament.  As I talked to the girls in the locker room after the game, I found the moment to be very bittersweet.  I know I will be glad to have my afternoons back, but I will truly miss this group of girls.  I realize that we are not the most talented team, but I believe that very few teams had as much fun as we did.  From threatening to sacrifice Andrea's "sweet peas" if we lost, to showing off our best dance moves at practice, we did have a great time.

As much fun as we had, I am extremely proud of the girls for all of their hard work.  I could see such a difference in this week's games.  They could actually run plays, dribble with their heads up, and actually score. I knew Meg and a couple of the other girls could do all of that, but I never thought all of them would get there when we started two months ago.  This team encouraged each other and even welcomed back a player that decided to sit out for a couple of weeks while working out some family issues.  Before the game one of the players looked at me and said, "Mrs. Heinisch, you are like our friend, and I like that."  I like that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment