Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Groundhog's Day

Today we celebrated Groundhog's Day.  I have to laugh every year as we listen to the report from Puxatony Phil.  I am not sure that most people realize that whether he sees his shadow or not he predicts the same thing.   Legend has it that if he sees his shadow he runs back into his home and we have six more weeks of winter.  Thus, winter will end around March 14th.  If he doesn't see his shadow, then supposedly he stays out and we will have an early Spring.  I can't remember many Springs starting before March 14th, so either way we still start Spring at the same time.

It is a fun legend, however, and my students enjoy learning about it every year.  I do not mind the winter this year as it has been fairly mild.  Hopefully, it stays that way.  Several other states have had blizzards.  Glad that Indiana was not on that list this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment