Monday, August 5, 2013

Raising Boys

I think I could spend a month typing posts entitled "Raising Boys." I realize that I do not know it all, but with the four (including Doug) that live in the Heinisch home I believe that I have gained quite a bit of knowledge in this category.  Monday was just one more of those life experiences that I chalk up to being a Mom of boys.

Meg and I were on the way to school to work on my classroom.  Brett and Cam were on their way to Grandma's.  Cal needed a ride to the high school to play basketball.  As he got in the van his phone rang.  The conversation Meg and I heard from his end was, "Yah, sandals, ok, I know what you mean. Sure, ok, got it, yah."  Cal then gets out of the van, heads to the garage, grabs a pair of sliders (shoes), throws them on the driveway, closes the garage door and jumps back in.

Normally, I do not ask him a lot of questions.  Over the years I have come to realize that boys in general like to initiate the conversation.  This time, however, my curiosity got the best of me.  Cal then briefly explained that Alex was going to Subway and didn't have any shoes.  Sure enough as we backed out, Alex was pulling in.  We dropped Cal off at the gym and as soon as he was safely inside the school, Meg and I proceeded to laugh.  Brett called later and said he got a pretty good chuckle out of it as well.

Over the years I have seen Cal and his friends borrow each others shirts, hats, socks, shoes, headbands, sweaters, shorts, money, books, jerseys, etc.  None of them seem to get caught up in who has what. Eventually it all turns up to the rightful owner.  The main goal is getting to practice, getting through practice and eating.  Somehow schoolwork gets done, jobs are worked and friendships are bonded.  So, if you see any of my boys wearing something unusual, know that I am just happy that they are dressed and where they need to be!  The rest will take care of itself!

No comments:

Post a Comment