Monday, August 26, 2013

Library Board

Tonight was my monthly library board meeting.  I have been president of the board for 4+ years.  I love the library and it has been very important to the Heinisch children.  Brett was still visiting it several times a week before he left for college.  All four attended story time and the eldest was a long time book club member.  Even Doug used to order books on CD to listen to on his long drive to Grabill years ago.

Today, however, I was tired and didn't really want to go.  I was in the middle of a project that I knew I would be able to finish if I just had a couple more hours.  It was also the only night this week that we didn't have other commitments.  Cameron had Cade over and Cal needed a ride to volleyball, so I could have easily made a lot of excuses not to go.  I can count on one hand how many times I have missed over the years.  So , I decided I wouldn't make this one.

On the short drive there, I thought that I would go ahead and let the other board members know that I would like to step down as president at the end of this year.  I have been an actively involved president during my tenure, even meeting with the staff and the landscaper this summer to decide which bushes stayed and which became mulch.  I love being involved, however, I have come to realize over the last few months that the board waits for me to make a decision on most issues and then tends to vote with me.  There is one naysayer on the board, but she just likes to be the antagonist.  No matter what is said, she likes to stir the pot.

As the meeting ended I was glad that I decided to go.  The library is an important part of our small community and I believe that we have a nice one.  I enjoy the board members (minus one.)  Randy and Cyndi were glad to talk of Brett's trek to IU.  We all laughed at the ribbing we gave Mike about getting married after several years a widower.  John was proud to introduce the new library circulation assistant.  With all of the budget cuts, hour reductions and closed libraries we were proud that ours has weathered the storm quite well.

So for now, I will stay in my current position.  Maybe one day someone else would like to take on my roll.  I will gladly pass the baton with pride, happy that we are a pillar of community activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment