Sunday, May 5, 2013

Lunch $

Every month I check the Heinisch children's lunch accounts.  I am ever amazed at how much lunch money they spend a month.  I am not complaining, but am always shocked.  They each have the option of packing their lunch, but for the most part prefer to buy it.  The older three usually buy an extra entree or drink daily.  I let them as only Brett is a good breakfast eater, so I figure they are starved by the time lunch comes along. 

This year federal guidelines for food served at schools changed drastically.  Brett and Meg have complained the loudest about this.  I noticed that there is not as much variety as there was previously.  In the scheme of things it is not a big deal, but I realize to a child at school, lunch is one of the biggest (and sometimes best) parts of their day.

Most of the stories I hear from the Heinisch children revolve around the cafeteria.  They tell me what they ate, who they sat by, the conversations they had, etc.  As I listen to them talk, I realize that our decision to keep the childern in school and forgo home schooling was a wise one for our family.  School isn't just about the subjects they study, but also finding independence and learning to socialize with their peers.  So, I will not complain as I add lunch money to their accounts.  I will be thankful that they have food to eat and friends to share their time with!

No comments:

Post a Comment