Wednesday, November 1, 2017

A Nasty Fall

Yesterday at school I took a nasty fall.  I was walking from Betsy's room to mine and the carpet by the front doors tripped me up.   The corner of it was upturned and caught my left foot completely knocking me to the ground.  In catching my fall I injured both of my wrists and thumbs.  They both hurt immensely but the left one would not stop throbbing especially the thumb.  I talked to the nurse at school and showed her where it hurt.  She thought that it could be broken.  I kept ice on it for four hours while I finished out the day at school.  Once I got home and showed it to my Mom and Doug my hand had become extremely swollen.

This morning I tried to get into Dr. Allen's office to have someone look at my thumb, but they didn't have any appointments before ten a.m.  They also did not have a way to x-ray it.  As it was a workman's comp claim, the school had to be involved in deciding who I could or could not see.   They did finally agree that I could go to MedStat instead.  They were able to get me in at 8 a.m. and had an x-ray tech on staff.  By 9:30 I was on my way out the door with a splint for my wrist and directions to follow.  It was not broken, but severely sprained.  I will not be able to use it at all for the next five days and it will take up to 5 weeks to fully heal.  I spent the majority of the day resting.  It didn't feel much better, but at least I had a plan of action.

No comments:

Post a Comment